Monday, October 02, 2006

A True Newbie

My five foot, two inch little girl just gave birth to an eight
pound, six ounce boy, which gives me a new title: grampa.

Today, the three great grandmothers will be paying homage at my
daughter's house. This is a logistical nightmare. We're just outside
of NYC, and the great grannies are scattered throughout Brooklyn and Queens--one's in Brooklyn Heights, another's in Sheepshead Bay and the other is in Flushing.

The driving distance is about 60 miles round trip, but even a mad gypsy cab driver couldn't round them up and get them out here in one day. The city streets just won*t allow it.

Therefore, my brother will be picking up my mother; my brother-in-law--who lives in New Jersey--will be picking up my wife's mother; and I'll be picking up my wife's stepmother. The elders range from 78 to 90. My mother's the oldest. She has a ring in which birthstones are added each time she gets a new great grandchild. This latest addition makes twenty-one. I don't see the ring anymore. Since my mother's frail now, if she wore it she'd be anchored to one place until she took it off.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenna said...

Congratulations, Grandpa! Very exciting news.

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, J.

5:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why can't I work this stuff?

Rich

5:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw this on a link from Jenna's site. Congrats, Grandpa Rich! Give the little bunchkin a smooch for me.

Sara (saritams8 from AW)

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home