Sunday, May 21, 2006

Appointed Hounds

I've never believed that dogs bark at mail carriers because they wear uniforms. I've yet to see a dog get upset over a marine, or a Girl Scout - so why mail carriers? The reason, I believe, is that dogs have no idea what a mail carrier is up to. A carrier drops mail into a box outside the front door. Since dogs seldom get mail, all they know is that this person brazenly walks up to their door, jiggles a box outside, and leaves without even a "Hey, boy, how ya' doin' today?"

Sharing the canine consensus of carrier aversion is my dog, PeaJay. He's a brown and black mongrel whose ears stand straight up when he knows the mail carrier is nearby, although at all other times he's as dog-eared as The Dead Sea Scrolls. He weighs 32 pounds and resembles a short, reasonably groomed junkyard dog.

The ruckus begins the instant our carrier's foot touches our block. All the dogs up the street begin to bark. As the carrier approaches our house, PeaJay begins with low, intermittent snarls. When the carrier is two doors away, the snarls are replaced with a staccato of barks that crack across the living room. Each series of barks ends with a howl that tapers off as his lungs collapse like spent balloons.

"Quiet," I yell. "Quiet!"

For a moment he heeds me, just long enough to give me this odd look that I interpret loosely as, "Please, Master - fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly..."

By the time the carrier reaches my door, PeaJay's state is frenzied. He wants to charge the window, but he'd have to leap on the couch to do that. But he's not allowed on furniture, so he hurls his expletives at the door. When the carrier is a few doors past us, PeaJay calms down somewhat, pacing the living room as he grumbles and grunts, "...and you better keep on movin'!"

The ritual ends when the barking outside diminishes, signifying that the carrier has turned the corner. PeaJay, with a sense of accomplishment, stiff-legs it to the middle of the living room, executes a few turns in place and plops down heavily-asleep in a fraction of a second.

A variation of this scenario occurs wherever dogs cross paths with 'appointed rounds.' What really ticks off a dog is that a mail carrier never allows an opportunity for even one quick sniff of a pant leg. This, to a dog, is the height of bad manners. For to a canine, permitting a cursory sniff is akin to being handed a diary. The floating molecules snatched by his nose tell him if you're friend or foe. A more thorough olfactory inspection reveals the species and gender of the pets you have, plus megabytes of other data that our inept proboscises can't begin to fathom.

I've toyed with the idea of testing my theory by opening the door and introducing my dog to the carrier. I feel that after a few sniffs, PeaJay would wonder why he's treated mail carriers with such contempt for all these years. But I hesitate...I fear that the intensity of the moment might cause PeaJay to skip the sniffing protocol, placing my theory, and the carrier, in an embarrassing position. With this in mind, I let sleeping dogs lie.

© 2002 ASPCA

ASPCA Animal Watch

4 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

Hi Rich, love your blog! I got a big kick out of your dog's reaction to the mail carrier. Cats seem to have a slightly different reaction.

As soon as my cats sense a presence outside the door, they are certain that it must be Satan himself. Their eyes grow round in terror, ears prick up, noses search the air for the slightest whiff of sulfur, and a crouched, ready-to-flee pose ensues.

I kind of know how they feel. I act the same way, especially when I know he's delivering those dreaded bills!

10:04 AM  
Blogger rich said...

Thanks.

Got two dogs plus we puppy-sit for my daughter's dog five days a week. The dog in the story, Peajay, had to be euthanized last year. At my age the dogs I have will probably be putting me down well before they go. We have two cats too. They don't seem to be bothered by much of anything.

One of my dogs is part Wheaten Terrier and Standard Poodle. When the doorbell rings he runs to the door and sits, violently wagging his tail--just knowing who ever it is just got to be friendly. I tried barking myself whenever the doorbell rang, but he hasn't caught on yet.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Behold furniture polish msds Shop for teeth whitening pregnancy in Jack black ben Strength sports bodybuilding chats and forums Purchase klear action teeth whitening system in stores adirondack chair design atlanta breast augmentation georgia breast augmentation Lamictal depressiohoitona volvo dp-e Grandpa sofa Jack for chrysler minivan blood pressure monitor uk samsungh Modern leather chair Subaru wrx rear wing spacers how can i shop for butalbital tamiflu and effectiveness and safety

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info car rated top wax Phoenix cosmetic dentistry vallejo tooth whitening tooth show+car+wax buy concerta without a perscription Mp3 players foor sale Volunteer surveillance team best way to wax your car online tramadol

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home