Thursday, May 18, 2006

Light Verse Anyone?

The Saturday Evening Post


OASIS


The courts will judge this sorry case

How two men squared off face to face

How words could not control their pace

How both men rolled in harsh embrace

How two good citizens fell from grace

And neither got the parking space.







The New York Times



HANDY MAN SPECIAL


The staircase creaks

When walked upon

The plumbing leaks

From basement on.

Roof shingles roam

Row by row

They built this home

Two months ago






The New York Times


ALARMING MEALS


On some jets I've dined on great steaks

And various drinks, (like nectar!)

And at other times wondered how the meals

Got passed the metal detector.


The New York Times


PERSONAL FOUL


Had he but only rested

At that time between the halves

When the players, unmolested,

Relieved their aching calves


No, he left the warmth of his TV set

Leaving beers and smokes bestrewn

And with shovel he ran out and met

That snowy afternoon


But before the snow-filled walk diminished

His words foretold his epitaph,

"If I rush," he huffed, "I should be finished

Before they start the second half."

(Aside: I used to write a lot of light verse--now, only sometimes. My problem is tracking it. I have a hard enough time keeping track of my short prose.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home